Home » Columns » Immigration Corner » ‘U’ VISAS FOR TNTs


WASHINGTON D.C. – Are you an illegal alien who is a victim of violent crimes in the United States? If so, you can avoid deportation by applying for special U visas. The US Citizenship and Immigration Service is now implementing a seven-year-old law passed by Con gress to give protection against deportation to those who would cooperate with law enforcement agencies. Delay in its implementation was due to the transfer of the bureau to Homeland Security which had to review the rules drawn up by the office earlier. The 2000 Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act established the visa to encourage illegal aliens to report crimes against them in return for the right to remain in the United States and eventually apply for permanent residency. The law authorized up to 10,000 U visas every year. The visas are good for up to four years, and visa holders who are in the United States continuously for three years can apply for permanent residency.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.